Noteworthy Legislative Achievements:
• 1982: Established a separate opticianry board within the Department of Health, independent of optometric rule.
• 1998: Further advanced the profession by requiring a two year mandatory ophthalmic science degree.
• 2007: Separated opticianry rules and regulations from the rules of optometry
• 2007: Passed Law to give opticians the ability to change add powers in spectacle Rxs. Strengthened eyewear duplication language.
• 2011: Eliminated the one year apprenticeship requirement for licensing.
• 2012: Established first annual college scholarship award to a CCRI opticianry student.